Excellent Mac and Cheese Balls with Red Vienna
Serves 4-6 (size dependent)
- In a medium saucepan, melt your butter on a medium heat until completely liquid – 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make a roux by adding the flour to the butter and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now to ensure a lump free sauce – slowly stream in the milk while whisking continuously until the mixture is smooth and all milk has been added.
- Keep whisking until mixture becomes extremely thick and then add in mustard powder, paprika, onion powder and salt.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool (covered in cling wrap) for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add in the cheese, Excellent Deli meat and cooled cooked macaroni into the sauce – mix thoroughly and then pour onto a greased roasting tray to spread out.
- Place the mixture in the freezer for 6 to 8 hours and then remove. Cut in squares or roll into balls based on your preference.
- To crumb the product, cover the squares/balls in egg and then place into the flour and breadcrumb mixture. Repeat this process to ensure a good bread coating.
- Deep fry at 180⁰C for 5 to 7 minutes until golden and serve.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce or as is. These cheesy balls should give you tonnes of cheese pull and the Excellent deli meat will provide a meaty bite and some tasty flavour.
- 70g Butter
- 140ml / 70g Wheat cake flour
- 2 cups / 500ml Full cream milk
- 1 tsp / 5ml Mustard powder
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml Onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp / 7.5ml Salt
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated (available at Excellent Meat Market stores)
- 1 pkt Excellent Meat Red Viennas (or any other Excellent Deli Meat)
- 250g Macaroni, cooked according to packet instructions
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup / 250ml Flour
- 1 cup / 250ml Breadcrumbs