Excellent Beef and Vegetable Soup
Heat 1 tbsp oil until very hot in a large, heavy based pot over high heat. Pat Stewing Beef dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
Brown beef batches, adding more oil if needed. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
Add your 500g Potjiekos pack, cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Stir in flour, then slowly pour in beef stock while constantly stirring.
Water, tomato paste, bay leaves and thyme, stir well. Then add the beef back in.
Cover, adjust heat to medium low so it’s bubbling gently. Simmer 1 hr 15 min or until beef is tender.
The soup is ready when the vegetables are cooked and beef is very tender.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty bread if desired.
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil , separated
- 900g Stewing Beef (Class A)
- 500 Vegetable Potjiekos pack (Available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tbsp)
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) beef stock ((Available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 1.5 cups (375ml) water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (Available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 2 bay leaves (Available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 1 tsp thyme dried