Cheesy Excellent Beef Macaroni Bake
- In large saucepan, over medium to high heat, sauté your onions and garlic in the oil for 2 to 4 minutes until translucent. Then add in the mince and allow to brown (while stirring) for 6 to 10 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, beef stock, oregano, basil, brown sugar and allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- To make the white sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt your butter on a medium heat until completely liquid – 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make a roux by adding the flour to the butter and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now to ensure a lump free sauce – slowly stream in the milk while whisking continuously until the mixture is smooth and all milk has been added.
- Keep whisking until mixture becomes extremely thick and then add in mustard powder, paprika, onion powder and salt.
- Mix the macaroni with the white sauce and get ready to assemble.
- To assemble, layer half of your macaroni mixture, ½ cup of cheese and half of the beef raygu and then repeat. Top the mixture with the left over cheese.
- Place into the oven and allow to bake for 30 to 40 minutes – until the cheese is brown and golden.
- Serve with fresh basil and roasted cherry tomatoes.
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 pkt Excellent Meat Beef Mince (90% Lean)
- 1 tbls / 15ml Garlic, crushed
- 50g Tomato paste (available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 2 cups / 500ml Beef stock (available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 1 tbl ./15ml Worchester sauce
- ½ tsp Origanum, dried
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml Spice Mecca Basil
- 1 tbls / 15ml Brown sugar
- 40g Butter
- 40g Wheat cake flour
- 1 tsp / 5ml Mustard powder
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml Spice Mecca Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml Onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp / 7.5ml Salt
- 500ml Full cream milk (or none dairy substitute)
- 500g Macaroni, cooked according to packet instructions (available at Excellent Meat Market)
- 2 cup / 500ml Cheddar cheese, grated(available at Excellent Meat Market)
- To garnish: Basil and roasted cherry tomatoes